Saturday, July 28, 2007

It's toasted

Just watched an episode of Mad Men. I know a lot of people have fantasies of going back in time to a different era. I have always figured the early part of the 20th century was more my style. This show is based in the 1950s, a time when people drank alka-seltzer, women were secretaries, businessmen had bars in their offices and smoked everywhere. While I do enjoy Doris Day films, I have no fantasies of going back to this era, except maybe to eat at an Automat (but I could do that in the 30s and 40s just as well). There’s no fantasy here in this show, except if you’re a man perhaps, one who longs for the days when ad men were successful and ruled Madison ave, the Darren wannabes of the world. For a woman, it was a time of being called Honey, knowing your place is in front of a typewriter, that is until you landed a man, and then you quit the charade of a job and got on with the business of being a housewife and mother.

That isn’t to say that there aren’t any feminists in the show. I counted three headstrong women going against the flow, but there’s also the brutal reminder of how far women had yet to go in the 50s before we took being considered an equal for granted.

It’s a good show. I recommend watching it.

2 comments:

Jetpacks said...

Darren wannabe?

Damn.

I'd settle for my wife having magic powers to help me out of creative jams.

vivzan said...

oh dear. No, I don't think you're a Darren Wannabe, but I think that watchers of Mad Men may be. Your description of Darren was excellent so I had to link to it for those who don't know what he did for a living.