Wednesday, August 15, 2007

identity vs. anonymity

I originally set up my blog under my known username (my email address name), but changed it to I'm not a plastic blog. I couldn't decide if I wanted people to know that I was writing this blog. Everything would seem so open and I would be easily be searchable on Google. That can't be good, I thought.

Then I read this article today about a woman who wanted her son's name to be easily searchable on Google, one that was uncommon and visible online. Interesting. Here's a quote from the article:

In the age of Google, being special increasingly requires standing out from the crowd online. Many people aspire for themselves -- or their offspring -- to command prominent placement in the top few links on search engines or social networking sites' member lookup functions.

Here I am in complete anonymity, with a very unusual name and an unusual username and I'm choosing to keep my identity hidden when others are going out of their way to be visible online. Part of me does want to be searchable. I do want an internet history of my thoughts and writings. I do want my friends to easily find me. What am I afraid of?

So, what do you think? I put up a poll to the left. Let me know your thoughts. Please feel free to comment. A lot of you like to send me private emails with your thoughts and while I welcome that, you are also welcomed to interact with me here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I'd keep it anonymous - unless you can honestly say that going public will not alter anything you would say on your blog. Why chance it? Go plastic blog!