Sunday, November 4, 2007

Automat cafeterias: former locations

Trying to physically find the locations of former Automats wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. This is New York, these buildings have been around forever. Surely I'd be able to find them.

I started off with an old Horn & Hardart Menu directory


and created a map.


View Larger Map


Then walked from 14th street to Times Square. I did wonder if any of the street numbers changed as I wasn't really finding stuff. So many of the buildings appeared to have been torn down and replaced with boring steel and glass high-rises.

Finding old photos of Automats wasn't that easy either. I spent a lot of time at the library, even going through microfiche, to try to find something to compare the present to.

However, during my week off in between jobs, I did make a little headway. I still have a bunch of locations uptown to investigate.However, during my week off in between jobs, I did make a little headway. I still have a bunch of locations uptown to investigate, but I have a few photos to show.

I made the Automat map public. If anyone has pictures of Automats, please send them along!

2 comments:

Winslow said...

Many of the Automats ended up being turned into BurgerKings, as that company, or the one that owned it, bought Horn & Hardart. The best example of this transformation is on west side of 7th Ave. at 47th St. or so - just north, I think, of the last HoJo's. It was, maybe still is, a Burger King; and, I'm told, that is the location for the very first Automat.

vivzan said...

Thanks. I read that a lot of them turned into BKs. When I walked around the city trying to find the former buildings, I specifically looked at BKs, but either the city changed the street numbers or there not even BKs anymore.

I'll check the 47th street one when it gets warmer. They tore down that HoJo, by the way. A colossal shame.