Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More Olympic fever

Watching the Olympics makes me so excited to see the passion, the artistry, the level of achievement, the beauty, strength and capabilities of the human body, the pure emotion of competing and winning. It makes me want to pursue something fully with the passion and discipline that these athletes have. It also brings out a strong desire to win at something. At the very least, it inspires me to want to do my best at whatever it is that I do, big or small.

The Olympics also remind me that you're never too old to pursue your dreams. A 33 year old gymnast won silver on the vault. A 38 year old won the gold in the women's marathon. A 34 year old father was still out there diving. Dana Torres (LOVE this woman) 41, kicking ass and winning silver.

There are a lot of things I'd like to accomplish in this life of mine and I tend to put those to the side and get caught up in the day to day activities. Witnessing the dedication, discipline and strength of these athletes inspires me to put a lot more effort into the things I do and the goals I want to achieve.

2 comments:

Chelc said...

I think Dara Torres is amazing. And she's apparently retired a few times before, but just keeps coming back for more! I can't believe she missed the Gold by .01 of a second!

Similar to what you've written, I heard one of the announcers ask one a past Olympian what you think about while you're on the podium receiving your medal, and he said that it's thinking back on all the times you almost gave up but didn't, and how all your hard work paid off. I'm keeping that in mind with this foray into school for the second time, and a new career. Because there are lots of frustrating times, and I know it's going to be even tougher trying to find employment with my new set of skills!

vivzan said...

I think you're very brave to go back to school and pursue a new career. You're going after your dreams! It's inspiring and hopeful.