Sunday, March 22, 2009

Scrambled egg sandwiches

I still like my scrambled eggs the same way I did when I was a kid: in a sandwich. Granted, the ingredients and technique have gotten better, but it all comes out the experimentation I started when my mom gave me the ok to scramble my own eggs as a kid. I would wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons and they would sleep late. Unsupervised, I took liberties in the kitchen. My mom never really knew what I was doing since by the time she got up, everything was clean and put away. Many years later, I made one of my sandwiches for her. She asked for the recipe. :-)

Here are the basics: warmed bread with mayo, onions, scrambled eggs. Assemble. There's a lot of ways to get fancy. Sometimes I make my own mayo with chipotle or cilantro, make my own bread or use ciabatta, wraps or pita bread, use cipollini roasted onions, add fresh herbs, potatoes, bacon. List goes on. It's the best breakfast sandwich in the world.

And when I make it with sliced sandwich bread, like I did this morning, I still cut it into triangles. :-)

5 comments:

Chelc said...

Wow, that looks so yummy!! Do you toast the bread? I'm a big fan of toasted bread and eggs. Of course, breakfast/brunch food is a favorite of mine anyway!

vivzan said...

Depends on the bread. I usually just warm regular sliced bread though because I like it nice and squishy.

Breakfast/brunch is the best!

Clau said...

now i want some.

vivzan said...

Go for it! I just made one for dinner!

Kevin said...

I like the sound of a scrambled egg sandwich!