Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Things I used to care about but don't anymore

I'm procrastinating so why not put together a list?

Key chains
It started with those gimp key chains that everyone had in the 80s. I had to have a cute key chain! I moved onto Winnie the Pooh, a New York subway token and finally my last key chain was a simple piece of leather from Coach. Now, all I have is a simple key ring.


Watches
I really wanted a Swatch back when it was popular. Know what I got? A Swatch-like watch branded by.... Playboy! This was ok for my uncle to give me as a gift?? I can't believe my parents let me wear it, but I did. And got made fun of. I also had a fake Seiko gold-tone watch that was also pretty popular back in the day. I wore watches on and off, settling on a Guess brand watch for a few years. My cellphone saved me from buying a $$$ Longines watch. But, that watch is super duper classy.



Make-up
Although I was a tomboy growing up, I liked make-up and when I started making enough money to buy department store make-up I had a lot of fun buying stuff. I used to buy lipstick and eyeshadow and experiment all the time! But, after a while I realized that for the most part I wear brown eyeshadow as eyeliner and one shade of lipstick and that this shit lasts forever. I have make-up for when I'm going out but, I'm no longer interested in buying the newest thing.



Stickers
This was such an 80s thing. Of course I grew out of it.











Pens & Markers

This started as an 80s thing when all the girls carried their pens inside little plastic boxes. I was also obsessed with those pens that had metallic ink. I had a major, major marker collection. This really doesn't deserve to be on this list, since I still care a lot about pens - I write everyday in a notebook at work and I journal - but man, did I go through a fountain pen phase. I still kinda want a Namiki fountain pen but it's just not going to happen. Unless someone wants to gift me?


Sun, Moon & Star stuff
For a while, I had a few things with this pattern, blankets, nested boxes, assorted chotkies. But I got over it long before people stopped buying me Christmas gifts with sun, stars and moons on it.








Tori Amos
I still remember when Debbie pulled up in her beater with "Crucify" blasting from her stereo back in college. Hard not to love Tori when she was grinding her piano bench and belting out songs like "Precious Things" or "Cornflake Girl." My collection is complete. I was an active member of the Tori Amos communities on LJ. I witnessed the TBL LJ community self-destruct and was part of the resurrection. The album art from "From the Choirgirl Hotel" was my computer wallpaper for years. But, everybody grows up, moves on, gets married, has kids, finds botox and turns out elevator music like "Ireland." Oh well. Yet, I spent over 20 minutes looking at photos of Tori to find the right one to post.

Ok, time to do some work.

4 comments:

Chelc said...

Wow, great list. I can totally relate to a bunch of these. Sadly, there are a bunch of other things that I still care about and probably shouldn't! Fountain pens I still love though - blame it on an ex-BF who bought me a Pelikan and I was hooked. I browse eBay periodically for some Japanese beauties, but Namikis are only to drool over!

And I love that you posted a picture of scratch-n-sniff stickers - yes, I totally recognize those! My sisters and I went through a huge phase with those and my mom would use them as rewards for things like practicing piano and random stuff. Oh, what collections we had!

Swatch watches were a rite of passage at 10 for us. I ended up with a few over the years. I haven't worn a watch for years now though - thank goodness for clocks on cell phones!

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

Jeff said...

I can relate to some of those things. Keychains: as my keys multiplied my jean pockets began to look like a chipmunk. Found a great industrial keychain that fits on my belt. No more jean pouch and it makes me look like a plumber. Pens: I love fountain pens but can't use them. I'm lefthanded and smear ink every time I write with one. Stickers: after my time and now after my kids' time.

Finally, watches. Actually, I love interesting looking watches. Never buy one that's over $100. Never got into using my mobile phone for the clock.

People who are interested in expensive watches are throwing away their money. Even cheap Timexes keep the time. And interesting design can be had for just a little money. Take a look at http://www.watchismo.com/ for some cool watches.

Clau said...

I am with you on the sticker collection. My sticker book was priceless to me. I had pages specifically for smelly stickers, puffy stickers, googly-eye stickers, glitter stickers... Then there were the theme pages: PacMan, Unicorns, rainbows, Strawberry Shortcake, Hello Kitty(!), those lame ones that your teacher used to give.

There was a value to some stickers. We'd trade them on the playground. One Hello Kitty would be worth 2 PacMans, 2 Unicorns are worth a smelly sticker, the sticker conversion rate was as strong as the US Dollar's.

You were only as cool as your sticker collection back then.

vivzan said...

Chelc - yeah if I'm totally honest w/myself I am always one smooth gel ink pen away from diving right back into my pen obsession. Namikis are just to DIE for. I really really want!!

Jeff, I'm left-handed as well and over the years, figured out a way to write w/fountain pens without smearing, but it's tiring.

Watches are like jewelry for some people. I had a friend with a $2k watch and while it was beautiful, the cost was so unnecessary.

Jeff, I liked the watch site, some interesting ones. I still gravitate towards vintage. I now have my grandmother's watch and I often think about getting new band so I can wear it, but really only for the memories.

OMG CLAU I STILL HAVE MY STICKER BOOK!