Sunday, May 9, 2010

Making Malai Kofta

I don't know anyone else who likes malai kofta, the Northern Indian dish of vegetable croquettes in a spicy cream sauce, but it's what I tend to order over and over again and I really like it.

A few weeks ago, I was browsing through one of my vegetarian cookbooks, a British tome of 1000 recipes and I came across a kofta recipe. It wasn't authentic, but I didn't have a kofta recipe so I filed it in the back of my mind to make it on a rainy day.

So today was that rainy day. Except it wasn't rainy. Just cold and windy.

The major ingredient in this recipe's kofta meal was pink lentils. See? Not authentic (it's supposed to be potatoes and cheese).

I rolled the meal into balls and baked them.

I added a few koftas to the curry, a spicy cream sauce whose recipe came from an Indian cookbook.

And here's the finished product, over some basmati brown rice.

The kofta actually tasted pretty good with the rice and curry. So, would I make this again? Not this kofta recipe. While it was lighter and healthier, I'd go and find a more authentic recipe instead. But, I made a bunch of it which I froze. They can also be served as an appetizer with a yogurt sauce so I'll try that too.

No comments: